I have been a long term traveller for a long time. I travel for months and sometimes years together and return back for rest and to restore my inner batteries and once that is done I am off again on a new adventure. Nowadays more and more people are also opting to travel for the long run and they are also motivated by the fact that many travel bloggers have made a ton of money. Firstly not everyone can make that much money, the people who are making tons of money are people who have a head start over you and are already recognized as leaders in their field. You can make decent money too but first you need to take the jump and get the necessary experience in long term travel. A few mistakes that long term travellers often do and I have done this myself are given below, you should aim to not make these mistakes and you will be a good long term traveller:
- The most common mistake that long term travellers do is to not make a budget. Without a budget you will find it hard to maintain your finances and you may have to return earlier than you normally hoped to do. But if you have a budget and if you try to stay within it at all times you will find that you can travel and enjoy rather than worrying about money all the time.
- Another mistake is to make the wrong friends when you are in a new place. You will make friends but try to make friends with people who pay for their passage and do not try to make you pay for all their purchases and food etc. If you find someone like that it is better to stay away from them.
- Before embarking on your trip, keep all your things in a storage unit near you. You will be thankful to me as it will save you a lot of money as you need not buy these things again and the things will be safe too.
- The oft repeated mistake is staying in places that are costly. This will drain your finances very fast. You should stay in hostels or if possible you can camp out if you are an outdoors person. But ensure that the country you are camping in is safe for camping.
- Eat at places that are not very costly. If you want you can dine in costly places once in a while.